This unusual format only allows expansions released in 1993 and 1994, with the rules in use back then. This article is the reference for the Eternal Weekend 2018's European Championship Old School.
As a matter of fact, the current Magic: The Gathering rules still apply.
• A deck must contain 60 cards minimum, and a sideboard of 0 to 15 cards
• Contrary to what was done before, combat damage doesn't use the stack and you can't respond to it
• All Interrupt cards are considered as Instants
Below are the exceptions to take into account:
1. Only cards released in the following expansions are allowed:
• Arabian Nights
• The Dark
• Fallen Empires
2. Rule of the Paris mulligan: similar to the current mulligan, but without the Scry 1. There is no free mulligan if you have 0 or 7 lands.
3. Mana burn still applies: if you are left with unspent mana by the end of any phase, you lose them and you lose that many life.
4. A player loses the game when their life total is 0 by the end of any phase. This state-based action is the last thing to occur before beginning the next phase.
For exemple: a player can drop to 0 life during their upkeep and then swap their life points with Mirror Universe.
5. Tapped blocking creatures don't deal combat damage.
For exemple: When a player animates Mishra's Factory, uses it to block and then activates its ability.
6. Tapped artifacts : if an artifact becomes tapped, its continuous effects stop until it is untapped.
• If Winter Orb is tapped during a player's untap step, it has no effect and all of that player's permanents untap, including Winter Orb
• If Howling Mine is tapped during a player's draw step, it has no effect and no additional card is drawn
• Even if Forcefield is tapped, its ability can be activated, it is not a continuous effect
• If Dingus Egg is tapped, whenever a land should be put in it's owner's graveyard, Dingus Egg still deals 2 damage to this land's owner as it is a triggered ability and not a continuous effect
The Oracle text is the one currently in use, except for the two cards with a physic ability:
• These cards don't target.
• Sleeves are considered to be part of the cards.
• Touching a card in a bouncing is not enough, the card must be still.
• If the card is physically on top of another but doesn't directly touch it, for instance because of the difference in the heights of the playmats or an uneven table, the action is still considered a success.
• You can only flip Chaos Orb if the card is on the battlefield when its ability resolves. If it is not, the ability has no effect. If you lose, Chaos Orb is still destroyed.
• If you choose two creatures with Falling Star, you must throw the card for each of them. If a creature isn't dealt any damage even though the throw was a success (a creature protected by a Healing Salve for instance), the creature doesn't tap.
restricted cards (1 in a DECK)
• Ancestral Recall
• Black Lotus
• Chaos Orb
• Demonic Tutor
• Library of Alexandria
• Mana Drain
• Mind Twist
• Mishra's Workshop
• Mox Emerald
• Mox Jet
• Mox Pearl
• Mox Ruby
• Mox Sapphire
• Sol Ring
• Strip Mine
• Time Vault
• Time Walk
• Wheel of Fortune
At first, to preserve the spirit of the format, only the cards in their expansion of origin and in english were allowed.
However, in order to make the format more accessible, reprints from the following expansions are allowed, no matter their language:
• 3rd edition white bordered
• 3rd edition black bordered
• Summer Magic (Edgar)
• 4th edition white bordered
• 4th edition black bordered
• Alternate 4th
• Chronicles white bordered
• Chronicles black bordered
• Rinascimento (Italian Renaissance)
• Introducy Two-player set
• Battle Royal
• Armada Comics
• Starter 1999
• Starter 2000
• Timeshifted (non-foil, with the original artworks)
Here is the list of the cards specifically allowed despite their misprints:
• Cyclopean Tomb Alpha (its mana cost is )
• Serendib Efreet in Revised (with the Ifh-Biff Efreet artwork), as Serendib Efreet (its color in play remains blue)
• Hurricane in Summer Magic (blue instead of green, its color in play remains green)
• Plateau with the Revised artwork
• Cards from the 5th Edition with an alternative illustration in Chinese are allowed : the slight differences in the artworks doesn't cause any identification issues.
• Premium cards
• Cards without their original artwork
• Collector's Edition and International Edition
As well as the following cards:
• Drudge Skeletons with the Swamp artwork in Foreign white bordered (German)
• Manabarbs with the Sedge Troll artwork in Foreign white bordered (German)
• El-Hajjâj with the Warp Artifact artwork in Foreign white bordered (German)
• Forest with the Plains artwork in Foreign black bordered (German)
• Aladdin's Ring with the Jandor's Ring artwork in Foreign black bordered (French)
• Serra Angel with the Time Elemental artwork in 4th edition black bordered (Spanish)
• Burrowing with the Strip Mine artwork in 4th edition black bordered (Spanish)
• Orcish Artillery with the wrong mana cost in Alpha
• Orcish Oriflamme with the wrong mana cost in Alpha
• Sindbad with the wrong mana cost in 4th edition black bordered (Korean)
• Animate Wall with the wrong mana cost in 4th edition black bordered (Korean)
• Ornithopter with the wrong mana cost in 5th edition (Spanish)
• Glasses of Urza with the wrong mana cost in 5th edition (French)
• Samite Healer with the wrong mana cost in Anthologies
• Elvish Archers with a switch between power and toughness in Alpha
• Nettling Imp in Foreign white bordered (German) where the tap symbol is lacking
• Circle of Protection: Artifacts with the wrong activation cost in 5th edition (Spanish)